We have released updates to the VEU registry and updated documents to reflect amendments to the VEET Regulations and VEU Specifications
VEU program changes commencing 31 May 2023
31 May 2023
The Essential Services Commission has released updates to the VEU Registry, guidance documents and forms. The changes reflect amendments to the VEU program that are contained in the following instruments which come into effect from 31 May 2023:
- Victorian Energy Efficiency Target Amendment (Electrification and Home Energy Rating Assessment) Regulations 2023
- the updated VEU Specifications 2018 – v 15.0.
For more information about the nature of the amendments, please read our program update released on 22 May.
New and updated guidance documents and forms
We have published the following guidance documents, accreditation application forms and VEEC assignment forms. Program participants, in particular accredited persons and scheme participants currently undertaking water heating activities, space heating and cooling activities and weather sealing activities, should review the above instruments and documents below to familiarise themselves with the amendments. The amendments include:
- Amended activity requirements, record-keeping requirements, product application requirements and GHG reduction calculations for water heating and space heating and cooling activities, and relevant transition timeframes.
- Removal of a number of water heating and space heating and cooling activities from the program from 1 July 2023.
- Amended activity and training requirements for weather sealing activity.
- Activity and record-keeping requirements for the new home energy rating assessment activity.
- Amended accreditation application forms and VEEC assignment form templates for water heating and space heating and cooling activities.
- Accreditation application forms and VEEC assignment form templates for the home energy rating assessment activity.
Changes to VEEC assignment forms
From 16 June 2023, assignment forms will need to be updated to reflect the updated water heating, space heating and cooling and weather sealing VEEC assignment form templates. Accredited persons must ensure that all activities undertaken from this date use the updated VEEC assignment forms.
Accreditation to undertake the revised and new activities
For stakeholders interested in undertaking revised water heating, space heating and cooling and weather sealing activities
Accredited persons currently accredited to undertake water heating activities (activities 1 and 3) continue to be accredited to undertake the revised water heating activities (activities 1 and 3).
Accredited persons currently accredited to undertake space heating and cooling activities (activities 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, 23) continue to be accredited to undertake the revised space heating and cooling activities (activity 6).
Accredited persons currently accredited to undertake weather sealing activities (activity 15) continue to be accredited to undertake the revised weather sealing activity.
Stakeholders who are interested in becoming accredited to be eligible to create Victorian energy efficiency certificates for these activities, must complete and submit one of the following application forms via the VEU registry:
- VEU Accreditation Form – if not already an accredited person under the VEU program.
- VEU Additional Activity Application Form – if already an accredited person under the VEU program, approved to undertake other VEU activities.
For stakeholders interested in undertaking new home energy rating assessment activity
Stakeholders who are interested in becoming accredited to be eligible to create Victorian energy efficiency certificates for the home energy rating assessment activity, must complete the Home Energy Rating Assessment Application Form and submit the form via the VEU registry.
A streamlined accreditation pathway is available for accredited persons who:
- have received their accreditation approval for an activity under the program (except for purchasing activities – activity 22, 24 and 25) within two years of applying for the home energy rating assessment activity, and/or
- have created certificates under the program in any activity (except for activity 22, 24 and 25) within the two years of submitting their home energy rating assessment application.
Upcoming reform changes, including changes to accreditation
The Victorian Energy Efficiency Target (Amendment) Act 2022 will commence on 1 November 2023, unless proclaimed earlier. This amending legislation will implement key changes to the program, including in relation to accreditation, audit and compliance and enforcement powers.
Updated guidance and forms will be published to coincide with the commencement of these reforms.
New training requirement for weather sealing activity
As communicated in our program update of 22 May, installers will need to complete a new training module: Weather Sealing Safely with Gas Appliances by 31 July 2023 in order to continue to undertake weather sealing activities under the VEU program after 1 August 2023.
Installers who need to complete this training module include:
- Installers who have completed the VU23076 unit (or previous equivalent VU units: VU21858 and VU21859) prior to 31 May 2023.
- Licensed electricians, licensed plumbers (except those licensed to undertake gas fitting work, Type A appliance conversion work and/or Type A appliance servicing) and registered builders.
Installers can enrol to complete this 1-hour training module on the Green Business Audit & Training website
Accredited persons must submit the training module certificates for their weather sealing installers to us via the VEU registry by 31 July 2023 to allow installers to undertake weather sealing activities under the VEU program after 1 August 2023.
The training module will be integrated in the delivery of the VU23076 unit from 31 May 2023. Therefore, any installer who completes the updated VU23076 unit will not need to complete the training module as a separate requirement.
Updated VEU registry
We have updated the VEU registry system last night to reflect the above changes.
Updated VEEC calculators reflecting the changes are now available. You should note that the VEEC calculators require products to be approved by the commission for installation under the relevant activity before being able to calculate VEECs for an activity. No products are currently approved for water heating activities 3C and 3D and space heating activity 6. Products which meet the new product requirements for these activities need to be submitted and approved by the commission for listing on the Register of Products before they will be available for use in the calculator.
Where to get help
Contact the Victorian Energy Upgrades program support team if you have any questions about this update:
- phone (03) 9032 1310
- email firstname.lastname@example.org.