This report is a guide on how the electricity and gas markets are performing. It aims to help customers piece together how the energy retail market works, and what they need to do to get the best out of it.
Victorian Energy Market Report
Read our latest update on the Victorian energy market
Our update provides important information about the Victorian energy market from July to December 2018 on areas such as:
- newly licensed energy companies
- our draft advice on the Victorian Default Offer
- new energy rules we have developed and are implementing
- an update on feed-in tariff rates offered by retailers
- latest information about customers in debt and facing disconnection
- how energy companies are complying and performing against their regulatory obligations.
Read our 2017-18 energy market report
Our annual report provides a summary of the state's energy market in 2017-18.
Key findings of the report include:
- more people were signed up to hardship programs (up 25 per cent)
- residential disconnections increased substantially (up 20 per cent) from 46,083 to 55,474
- call wait times almost doubled from an average 46 seconds to 88 seconds (up 91 per cent)
- average residential electricity and gas prices increased up to 16 per cent
- average debt for new participants was $1,377 - up 11 per cent on 2016-17
- nine licences were granted, including six new generation licences (two solar farms and four wind farms).
This report also covers average price changes in the energy offers available for residential and small business customers and provides an overview of our auditing activities.
Please note that this report supersedes the Victorian Energy Market Snapshot 2017-18 issued on 29 November 2018. Unfortunately, we were not able to release our full annual report by the end of last year due to the inability of AGL to provide reliable performance data in time.
How energy businesses performed in 2017-18
This appendix to the report provides information about the performance of energy retailers in key areas of service and operation.
We regularly report on the performance of the Victorian energy market
Our Victorian Energy Market Report helps customers piece together key facts about the energy industry.
We provide updates on the energy market throughout the year.
These reports provide information on:
- compliance of energy licensees with the energy rules
- prices of electricity and gas retail offers throughout the year
- performance of energy companies in areas such as customer service and assistance for customers in payment difficulty.
We also publish the results of our audits of energy businesses, and the standard contract prices published by retailers.
Victorian energy market report and updates in 2017-18
Victorian Energy Market Report 2016-17
Licensed energy businesses audit fact sheets 2016-17
Victorian Energy Market Report 2015-16
Victorian Energy Market Report Updates: 2016-2017
Energy retail performance reports
These reports pre-date the Victorian Energy Market Report.