Accredited persons must ensure their installers comply with Victorian Energy Upgrades (VEU) program safety training requirements, as well as other applicable legislation.
Installer safety and training requirements
When undertaking Victorian Energy Upgrades (VEU) activities, you must comply with both:
- VEU safety training requirements for the activity
- any requirements imposed by other legislation, such as occupational health and safety legislation, applicable to the activity.
Activities with VEU safety training and licensing requirements
Installers must complete the relevant safety training competency units before they can install:
- double glazed windows (activity 13)
- thermally efficient window products (activity 14)
- weather sealing (activity 15)
- low flow shower roses (activity 17)
- incandescent lighting (activity 21B)
- high efficiency pool pumps (activity 26).
Exemptions apply for fully qualified and licensed electricians and plumbers, and work undertaken in buildings registered with the Victorian Building Authority.
Only licensed electricians registered with Energy Safe Victoria can undertake:
- lighting replacements (activities 21A, 21C, 21D, 21E and 21F)
- weather sealing (activity 15D)
- building-based lighting upgrades (activity 34)
- non-building based lighting upgrades (activity 35).
Safety training competency units
The safety training competency units are categorised into three groups:
- Group A: Health and safety risks and occupational health and safety requirements
- Group B: Energy and water efficiency retrofits
- Group C: Working at heights.
Installers can choose which unit to complete within each group to satisfy each aspect of our safety training requirements.
Find registered training organisations (RTOs) that offer the below units on the Australian Government’s training website.
|Mandatory safety training units|
|Activities and Schedules||GROUP A||GROUP B||GROUP C|
Minimise health and safety risk when retrofitting for energy and water efficiency
Apply OHS requirements, policies & procedures in the construction industry
Carry out WHS requirements
Undertake retrofitting to improve energy and water efficiency
Work safely at heights
Work safely on scaffolding higher than two meters
Work safely at heights
|Installers require to complete:|
|External window activities (activities 13 & 14)||One of the above units||the above unit, and||one of the above units.|
|Weather sealing (activities 15A, 15B, 15C, 15E, 15F, 15G, 15H)||One of the above units||the above unit, and||one of the above units.|
|Low flow shower rose (activity 17)||One of the above units, and||the above unit.||Not required|
|Incandescent lighting (activity 21B)||One of the above units||the above unit, and||one of the above units.|
|Pool pumps (activity 26)||One of the above units, and||the above unit.||Not required|
Installers must be approved by us before undertaking these activities.
To obtain approval, accredited persons must submit proof of the installer's training qualifications and/or licence details, via their VEU account.
For licensed electricians and plumbers, accredited persons must ensure their licence details are kept current in their VEU account.
Other legal requirements
Installers must also comply with all laws, regulations and codes of practice applicable to the activity being undertaken. This includes, but is not limited to, the:
- Electricity Safety Act 1998
- Gas Safety Act 1997
- Building Act 1993, the Plumbing Regulations 2008
- Ozone Protection, Synthetic Greenhouse Gas Management Act 1989
- Occupational Health and Safety Act 2004
- Competition and Consumer Act 2010 (Cth).