Heat pump water heaters or gas/electric boosted solar water heaters are not eligible for replacement under the VEU program regardless of how they are operating or the fresh start rule.
Eligibility of faulty heat pump or gas/electric boosted solar water heaters in the VEU program
We recently received a number of stakeholder queries about the Victorian Energy Upgrades (VEU) eligibility of installations involving the replacement of faulty heat pumps and failed solar water heaters that were effectively operating as electric resistance water heaters or gas water heaters under the VEU program.
A faulty heat pump water heater or a gas/electric boosted solar water heater that is disconnected from the solar panel components is not eligible for replacement under the VEU program. This decision affects installations under activities 1 and 3 of the program.
Rationale for our decision
Our activity guide for water heating states an eligible replacement environment is an existing electric resistance or gas water heater connected to an electricity supply before it is decommissioned. As there is no legal definition of electric resistance or gas water heaters under the VEET legislation, we have used industry standards to define products that operate outside of their intended use as not being eligible for replacement under the program.
Stakeholders submitting claims for water heating activities should ensure that they can provide all supporting evidence or request.
For each water heating installation, stakeholders must collect and maintain the following:
- VEEC assignment form completed and signed by the installer and energy consumer
- Invoice/proof of purchase listing the installed product brand and model
- VBA Compliance Certificate
- Non-prescribed Certificate of Electrical Safety detailing:
- the type, brand and model of unit decommissioned
- the method of decommissioning
- Prescribed Certificate of Electrical Safety if mains or a switchboard is modified
- Recycling invoice(s) (where applicable)
- Geo-tagged photo(s) showing:
- the unit before the upgrade to demonstrate eligibility
- the unit rendered permanently inoperable
- brand, model and serial number of the decommissioned product
- the installed unit after installation.
Review our Water Heating and Space Heating/Cooling Activity Guide for more information.
Where to get help
If you have any questions with respect to matters set out in this program update, please contact VEU Support on (03) 9032 1310 or firstname.lastname@example.org.