We are working to ensure electricity and gas contracts are clear and fair, in response to recommendations made by the independent bipartisan review of electricity and gas retail markets in 2018.
Ensuring contracts are clear and fair 2019
Issues paperJune 2019
Draft decision10 December 2019
Submissions close21 January 2020
Final decisionFebruary 2020
Rule changes take effect1 July 2020
Ensuring contract periods, practices and variations are clear and fair
In December 2018, we received terms of reference to implement recommendation 4 of the independent bipartisan review of electricity and gas retail markets that was released in August 2017. This recommendation relates to ensuring that contract periods, practices (including discounting) and variations are clear and fair.
In June 2019, we released an issues paper that presented some options for implementing this recommendation. We consulted on these options in June and July 2019.
Based on the feedback we received, we have developed a draft decision which sets out how we propose to implement recommendation 4.
Key proposals include:
- requiring retailers to market gas and electricity offers clearly
- limiting when retailers can change prices
- ensuring discounts last the whole length of a customer's contract
- putting protections in place for customers who don’t engage at the end of their contract
- limiting the size of pay-on-time discounts that retailers can offer
- requiring retailers to include information about how customers can access the Victorian Default Offer on electricity bills
- limiting retailers’ ability to bill customers for amounts not previously charged for.
Feedback on the draft decision
Submissions on the draft decision closed on 21 January 2020.