We are working to ensure that electricity distribution in Victoria continues to be undertaken in a safe, efficient and reliable manner.
Electricity Distribution Code review 2019
Approach paper17 April 2019
Issues paper13 August 2019
Draft decision (customer service standards)7 May 2020
Draft decision consultation closes2 July 2020
Final decision (customer service standards)Second half of 2020
Code reviewContinuing beyond 2020
We are reviewing our requirements for electricity distribution
We are reviewing the Electricity Distribution Code. The code sets out requirements for electricity distribution in Victoria and covers:
- protections for customers, such as when customers can be compensated for low reliability
- technical standards that govern the way electricity is supplied
- communication requirements, such as when distribution businesses are to contact customers before a planned outage
- certain process requirements, like new customer or generator connections.
The distribution of electricity is experiencing transformation and innovation. We seek to promote the long-term interests of Victorian customers in the way we regulate the distribution of electricity, and aim to ensure the energy rules remain fit for purpose.
Draft decision: Customer service standards
We have released the draft decision which seeks to:
- update how distributors communicate with their customers about planned outages
- modernise the guaranteed service level scheme
- introduce new reporting requirements for distributors.
Final decision: Technical standards
We have released the final decision, which is updating the code's technical standards.
What we're reviewing
We looked at technical standards in the code, such as voltage standards, harmonics, negative sequence and power factor.
We will look at protections for customers in the code, such as when customers can be compensated for low reliability.
The code has many different areas to consider. We are engaging with many different stakeholders as we consider the priority matters for review.
To receive direct updates and notifications, email email@example.com.
Electricity Distribution Code Review Forum
In 2018, we held a public forum to introduce the Electricity Distribution Code review. We asked stakeholders to raise their areas of interest for review.
Victorian energy open forum
Our first forum for energy industry stakeholders on 27 August 2019 covered:
- the retail market review
- the Victorian Default Offer
- the Electricity Distribution Code review
- protections for life support customers.