We maintain a register of the products that may be used in the Victorian Energy Upgrades (VEU) program, and set standards for certain products.
How we approve products and set standards
Register of Products
We maintain a register of energy saving products that are eligible to be installed under the VEU program, and for which Victorian energy efficiency certificates (VEECs) may be created.
To be listed on our Register or Products, a product must be capable of meeting:
- the criteria listed in the VEET Regulations
- the minimum efficiency requirements specified in the VEU specifications.
This provides assurance for accredited persons installing products, and ensures a more efficient process for registering VEECs following installation.
Products can be installed before being listed on our Register of Products, but must be listed at time of VEEC creation. Some products can be used for VEU installation activities even if not listed on our register, including those that are:
- listed on the Australian Greenhouse and Energy Minimum Standards (GEMS) Register
- listed on the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) load table for public lighting
- installed under gas efficiency activities (activities 37 to 42)
However, a product must be listed in our Register of Products in order to create VEECs in our registry system. Accredited persons who install products not yet approved by us and listed on the register, do so at their own risk.
Once a product approval application has been lodged, we review the information provided in the application.
We approve products that, based on the documentation submitted, we deem to meet the criteria set in the VEET Regulations and the VEU specifications.
We determine some of the requirements for lighting products and in-home display units, including.
- performance and installation requirements
- minimum power factors
- minimum standards for lighting equipment
- approval of laboratory tests
- approval of encrypted communication protocols for in-home display units
- the suitability of a product to replace a decommissioned product.
These requirements are available in the relevant product application guide.