View resources to help councils comply with annual rate caps.
Guidance to help councils comply with rate caps
All Victorian councils must:
- comply with the Minister's rate cap or approved higher cap
- submit the annual compliance information template and rating system reports (as at 30 June and 1 July) by 30 September 2021
- respond to information requests for the biennial outcomes report.
Each council must provide the following information each year:
- Annual compliance information template
- Rating system reports as at 30 June and 1 July
- CEO certification
- Better practice property and rates database checklist.
We monitor compliance with the rate cap by checking:
- consistency of the information in the annual compliance information template and the rating system reports
- whether the capped average rate does or does not exceed the base average rate by more than the rate cap.
We report each council as compliant or non-compliant in our annual compliance report.