We promote the long term interests of Victorian consumers with respect to the price, quality and reliability of essential services.
We regulate Victoria’s energy, water and transport sectors, and administer the local government Fair Go Rates system. Our work also includes administering the Victorian Energy Efficiency Target scheme, which aims to reduce greenhouse gases by making energy efficiency improvements more affordable for consumers.
We promote thought leadership and the delivery of great performance in how we regulate the energy, water, local government and transport sectors. We also occasionally review other sectors at the request of the Victorian Government.
We use a formal process to exercise our responsibilities. This includes:
- developing reports on how markets operate
- delivering price determinations
- compliance assessments and audits
- taking enforcement actions when required.
We consult with our stakeholders by conducting workshops, public forums and formal submission processes (in alignment with our submission policy).
We achieve our mission by implementing our key values:
- Being transparent and consistent in making decisions.
- Clearly explaining the rationale behind decisions.
- Acting openly and honestly.
- Sharing information and knowledge across the organisation.
- Adopting an open and constructive approach to addressing and resolving issues with stakeholders.
- Providing or taking opportunities across the organisation to jointly deliver influential outcomes.
- Basing advice and decisions on merit, without bias, caprice, favouritism or self-interest.
- Acting fairly by objectively considering all relevant facts and fair criteria.
- Being rigorous in the assessment of data and information.
- Exhibiting clear, evidence-based decision- making.
- Challenging traditional approaches and exploring new ideas based on the latest economic and regulatory thinking.
- Treating people fairly and objectively, with dignity.
- Considering the views of others to improve outcomes on an ongoing basis.
Read about us in more detail in our annual reports.
Appealing a decision
If you’d like to appeal a decision made by the Essential Services Commission, apply to the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal.