Changes to customer service codes for water businesses were considered as a response to one of 227 recommendations from the Royal Commission into Family Violence.
These code amendments require water businesses to develop and implement family violence policies which, as a minimum, address:
- implementing training and support for frontline staff dealing with customers affected by family violence
- preventing the disclosure of private and confidential customer information to perpetrators
- enabling customers to access existing payment difficulty programs provided by businesses
- minimising the need for customers to repeatedly tell their story to different staff
- referring customers to appropriate support services.
To support the implementation of the code changes, the Commission is developing guiding material for the water sector. This guiding material brings together better practice family violence polices and processes from a range of state and national utility related organisations. The guiding material is scheduled for release in May 2017.
|10 Apr 2017||
Amendments to water customer service codes April 2017 – Final decision
- Proposed amendments and customer services codes (3)