Learn about your rights as a water consumer.
Information for water consumers
If you have an enquiry or complaint regarding your water business, you can:
- Ask your water business to escalate the matter internally to a more senior management level.
- Contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria). The ombudsman provides a free and informal dispute resolution service to help customers resolve complaints with water businesses.
- Discuss water policy and water resources with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning. The department manages groundwater, catchments and waterways, infrastructure, water saving and re-use projects, flood management, governance and water legislation.
- Explore options with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal. The tribunal is the appropriate forum for commercial disputes over developer contributions to new water and sewerage connections.
You can also use our water bill calculator to work out a typical household bill based on your consumption.
Visit the Victorian Government’s ‘water’ website
For detailed information about your rights as a water customer, we recommend you visit the government’s ‘water’ website, which includes information on:
- the geographical area each water business covers
- fixed charges and tariffs
- the parks charge
- waterways drainage charges
- complaints and concessions.
Use our water bill calculator
Use our water bill calculator to calculate a typical household bill for Victorian water customers..
The calculator bases its bill estimates on the maximum prices a water retailer is allowed to charge. It factors in:
- fixed and variable charges based on average annual household consumption
- any efficiency and carbon tax savings businesses have passed on through a reduction in prices or as a rebate.
The calculator does not factor in parks charges or waterways and drainage charges.
We update this calculator every July. For more information about your water bill, please contact you water retailer.
Send us your feedback on price reviews and inquiries
You can send us feedback on our prices reviews and some inquiries and studies.
Find help for water customers experiencing family violence
If you are experiencing family violence or payment difficulties, water businesses have policies and processes in place to help you.
Your water business can refer you to specialist family violence services. The Energy and Water Ombudsman Victoria can also take this into account when working with you to resolve a water or energy complaint with your provider.
We run phone surveys quarterly
You may receive a phone call asking questions about which water business you use and how satisfied you are with the service. This is an ongoing quarterly survey to provide us with data from real customers about their level of satisfaction. The survey is based on a short script and runs for roughly five minutes. You can access the results on How customers rate their water business.
We receive data from this survey in a de-identified format, and we follow best practice privacy principles in relation to your information. To be taken off our contact list, please send the respondent’s full name, landline and mobile number to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also email us if you have any questions about the survey.
The data set is sourced by ReachTel, a data and analytics company. They are not affiliated with any political party, media outlet, union or special interest group.
Respondents can be contacted even if they are on the 'do not call register'
We apologise for any inconvenience this causes. The ‘do not call’ register covers calls that are intended to advertise or promote goods or services. The law has specific exemptions that allows market research calls. The Australian Communications and Media Authority has information on the specific exemptions.