Our Victorian Energy Upgrades (VEU) performance reports detail the regulatory and administrative work undertaken as part of the program.
VEU performance reports
Each year we release a performance report that details the regulatory and administrative work undertaken as part of the Victorian Energy Upgrades (VEU) program.
The report provides information on key aspects of the program for the 2021 calendar year including:
- our assessment of applications for new accounts and accreditation applications
- our assessment of the the creation and registration of Victorian energy efficiency certificates
- our assessment of project-based activities and product submissions
- our compliance and audit activities and findings on the compliance of accredited persons and relevant entities
- other key work activities and projects we delivered to maintain the integrity of the program and to prepare for its future
Victorian Energy Upgrades Performance Report 2021
You can also read our media release about the report
Access the full performance report here
Access our two page fact sheet which provides highlights from the report
Key highlights from the 2021 report
During 2021, the program delivered over 650,000 energy efficiency upgrades across 413,249 households and businesses
7.5 million tonnes of greenhouse gases abated
Over 7.5 million tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions anticipated to be saved from upgrades delivered in 2021, bringing the total of emission savings from the program to over 70 million tonnes.
7.7 gigawatt hours of energy saved
7.7 gigawatt hours of energy savings expected to be generated from upgrades undertaken in 2021 over lifetime of the upgrades
Additional 2021 program highlights
- 7,512,776 certificates registered from upgrades undertaken in 2021.
- 168 new businesses registered to own, trade and surrender certificates in the program.
- 13 new businesses accredited, and 60 business expanding their accreditation to deliver upgrades under the program.
- 915 new energy efficient products approved for use in the program, bringing the total to 18,326.
- 29 project-based activities impact reports approved – a fivefold increase from 2020.
- 1 new activity introduced into the program (cold room activity).
- 38,623 certificates surrendered in 2021 by accredited providers as a result of 30 investigations
- $1,820,120 of penalties paid by energy retailers in 2021
- 6,542,681 certificates were surrendered by 33 Victorian energy retailers for the 2021 compliance year. For more information on energy retailer compliance, please see page 25 of the Victorian Energy Market Report 2021-22
Building public confidence and promoting consumer rights
In 2021, the rate of complaints remained at 2020 levels, that is approximately 13 complaints were received for every 10,000 premises upgraded. We continued to work with accredited providers and other regulators to address consumer complaints and protect consumer rights. We also started planning for implementation of the program’s code of conduct which will strengthen consumer protection outcomes under the program. The code comes into effect from 1 July 2022.
Victorian Energy Upgrades data dashboard
Access our dynamic VEU data dashboard which provides performance data for the program since it commenced in 2009, with data updated weekly.