Under the Transport (Compliance and Miscellaneous) Act 1983, the Essential Services Commission (the Commission) is responsible for determining the maximum charges for taxi services in the Melbourne metropolitan taxi zone (the metropolitan zone) and the urban and large regional taxi zone (the urban zone).
The Commission’s last maximum taxi fare determination was made on 19 June 2014. The Commission is required to review determinations within two years of their making.
This review was completed on 17 June 2016 with the release of the Commission’s final report and 2016 determination. The Commission’s review resulted in the following decisions:
- Maximum taxi fares for the metropolitan zone remain unchanged
- The areas of Dandenong, Frankston and the Mornington Peninsula within the urban zone continue to adopt the metropolitan zone maximum fares, which remain unchanged
- For the areas of Geelong, Ballarat and Bendigo within the urban zone, the 2016 determination extends the times during which a late night fee and holiday surcharge may be charged.
The 2016 determination takes effect from 1 July 2016.
Please note: on 17 October 2016 the Commission updated its taxi fare determination. For more information please visit Updating the Schedule of Maximum Taxi Fares Document.
- Taxi Fare Review 2016 – Maximum Taxi Fare Determination (2)
- Taxi Fare Review 2016 – Final Report & Fact Sheets (2)
17 Jun 2016 Taxi Fare Review 2016 – Final Report
- Taxi Fare Review 2016 – Draft Report & Fact Sheets (5)
03 May 2016 Taxi Fare Review 2016 – Draft Report Volume 1: Our Draft Decision
- Taxi Fare Review 2016 – Consultation Paper (1)
15 Dec 2015 Taxi Fare Review 2016 – Consultation Paper