Read reports that determine whether councils have complied with the relevant rate cap when they set their rates for each financial year.
Council compliance reports
Local councils are required to comply with a number of Acts, legislative instruments, and our codes and guidelines. We produce annual council monitoring reports to assess whether a council complies with the applicable rate cap when it sets its rates for the relevant financial year.
In our Council Compliance with the Rate Caps for 2017-18 (PDF), we found that most councils were compliant with the average rate cap or higher cap. We also noted the following:
- Seventy-six councils were compliant with the average rate cap or higher cap.
- One council was materially non-compliant with the average rate cap.
- Two councils were immaterially non-compliant with the average rate cap.
- We asked each council that was non-compliant for a statement of explanation.
- We noted that we have not independently verified the data on which the calculations of the base average rate and capped average rate have been made; we relied on the data provided by councils (certified by the council’s chief executive officer).
Read more about our role in administering council rate caps.