As well as price, you should also check on other things before making your choice about a contract.
- Terms and conditions of the contract – do you understand them?
- Supply charge – (fixed daily amount)
- The price (tariff) you are paying for energy (how many cents per kWh or MJ)
- Tariff variations, did the retailer explain if your price will change during the contract?
- Termination fees or other charges – do you have to pay an early termination fee and any other charges if you transfer to another retailer during the contract period?
- Payment options – does the contract allow you to pay your bill using different methods for example, direct debit, Centrepay?
- Contract period – what is the length of the contract for example, 24 months.
- Moving house – does the contract cover this scenario?
- Written information – do you want an Offer Summary sent to you before you make a choice?
- Time to think about it – has the retailer given you enough time to think about the offer and whether or not it suits you?
To better inform your choice about the right retailer you can access an independent Victorian Government electricity price comparator, Victorian Energy Compare. This lets you:
- find and compare electricity retailer offers
- compare all generally available electricity offers
- create your own ‘power profile’ based on your typical usage
To use the Electricity and Gas Comparator search Victorian Energy Compare here.