We have the power to determine whether an electricity or gas customer is eligible to receive a payment for wrongful disconnection.
Wrongful disconnection payments
We make these decisions when the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) refers items to us.
Our operating procedure outlines how we make decisions on wrongful disconnection payments
We issued our operating procedure to help retailers and the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria):
- satisfy the wrongful disconnection compensation obligations
- give customers greater assurance about the satisfaction of such obligations.
The operating procedure:
- gives guidance on the interpretation of the Energy Retail Code in relation to wrongful disconnection compensation obligations
- sets out our view of the appropriate minimum procedures for the handling by retailers and Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) of relevant enquiries and complaints
- states our proposed procedures for decisions concerning relevant breaches of retail licence conditions and the enforcement of wrongful disconnection compensation obligations.