The Water Industry Act 1994 (Vic) and the Water Act 1989 (Vic) are administered by the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning and set out consumer obligations when dealing with water businesses which include:
- providing notice to water businesses if you move premises
- observing restrictions imposed by water businesses
- ensuring your water meter is accessible
- removing trees on request
- not altering any works connected to the water businesses’ works without the businesses’ consent.
The Essential Services Commission Act 2001 (Vic.) sets out the overall objectives of the Commission, and specific powers relating to price regulation and price determinations.