Customer Enquiries & Complaints

The Essential Services Commission (the Commission) regulates prices and service standards for water and sewerage services provided by Victoria’s government-owned water corporations.

Prices are established in the Commission’s price determinations, and are based on pricing proposals designed and submitted by each water business. Service standards are set out in the Commission’s customer service codes and are reflected in the businesses’ pricing proposals.

Water businesses are the best source of information about their prices, services and other issues relevant to their customers. They are well prepared to receive and respond to customer concerns or complaints related to their services, and should be the first point of contact for such matters. They can also provide you with information about your consumer protections and explain how these are applied.

If you are unhappy with how your water business has responded you can explore a range of options:

  • Ask your water business to escalate the matter internally to a more senior management level.
  • Contact the Energy and Water Ombudsman (Victoria) (EWOV). EWOV provides a free and informal dispute resolution service to help customers resolve complaints with water businesses.
  • Discuss water policy and water resources with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning (DELWP). DELWP manages groundwater, catchments and waterways, infrastructure, water saving and re-use projects, flood management, governance and water legislation.
  • Explore options with the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT). VCAT is the appropriate forum for commercial disputes over developer contributions to new water and sewerage connections.

Water customers experiencing family violence

If you are experiencing family violence or payment difficulty, water businesses have policies and processes in place to help you.

There are many support options available for water customers who are experiencing family violence:

  1. EWOV can help water customers experiencing family violence if they need to resolve dispute with their water business.
  2. A customer’s water business can also provide referrals for specialist family violence services.

Essential Services Commission