There are many energy retailers in Victoria. Each has different prices and contracts.
You do not have to change retailer to get access to a better energy offfer. You can stay with your current retailer but move onto a different contract. For more information see What types of contract are available?
To make sure you get a good deal, you should think about these things:
- How much does it cost to be connected each day?
- How much does it cost for the electricity or gas you use?
- Can you make payments from a bank account, credit card or cash?
- Are you eligible for concessions?
- What is the contract period?
- Does the contract allow for price increases?
- Do you have to pay an early termination fee to end the contract early?
- Do you want more details before you decide?
To get more information:
- You can ask the retailer for an “Offer Summary”. It tells you the main points of the contract. Your retailer must provide you with this information if you request it. And to give it to you, if you ask for it.
You can compare the Offer Summary from different retailers.
- Retailers have a “Price and Product Information Statement” or Energy Price Fact Sheets for each contract they advertise. You can access this information from this website or the retailer’s website.
- You can go to Victorian Energy Compare and compare energy contracts..
Details of different retailers can be accessed on the switchon website: